Thursday, January 12, 2012

Ogden officer injured in drug raid shootout takes turn for worse - Lets not forget

Doctors on Thursday downgraded the condition of one of the two Ogden police officers still hospitalized after being wounded in a deadly Jan. 4 drug raid firefight.

McKay-Dee Hospital spokesman Chris Dallin confirmed that 29-year-old Michael Rounkles, a 5-year veteran of the department, has slipped back into serious condition Thursday morning.

Dallin did not release further details or explanations for the decline in Rounkles’ status, noting patient privacy and family considerations. "The hospital can only release status and cannot comment further," he said. Attempts to reach family members Thurday were not immediately successful.

However, Rounkles’ uncle, Larry Rounkles, was reported last week as saying his nephew had been shot in the face and stomach and still had a bullet lodged near his spine following surgery.

The other Ogden police officer still hospitalized, Kasey Burrell, 33, remained in fair condition. Three other officers wounded in the Weber-Morgan Narcotics Strike Force raid have been released.

Meanwhile, thousands of mourners — including representatives of law enforcement agencies throughout the country — attended funeral services Wednesday for Ogden police Officer Jared Francom. The 30-year-old father of two was eulogized for his sense of humor, outgoing personality and dedication to his young family.

In addition to 4,000 mourners who attended Mormon rites in Weber State University’s Dee Events Center, thousands more lined the four mile route the funeral procession took to the Ogden City Cemetery. Five thousand American flags were staked along the route, while throngs stood along the curbs holding smaller flags as a show of respect for Francom’s sacrifice.

Francom died from wounds received while the strike force attempted to serve a "knock and announce" search warrant on the home of Matthew David Stewart, 37. Police say the Army veteran responded by opening fire on them. Stewart remained under guard at an unspecified medical facility on Thursday, continuing treatment for non-life threatening injuries police continued to refuse to detail.

No comments: